Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2012

Being Politically Correct

I was just reading a post and the related threads from the FB group I Fucking love Science

When i first saw the pic my screen was kinda zoomed in (cuz i'm admittedly blind) and when I scrolled down I must say that it was totally out of my expectation and tickled my funny bone.

What amused me even more was the massive feministic thread that followed.


I mean seriously. No guy is going to complain if you did the situation in reverse. Fair enough the women feel sick and tired of commonly being used as an object of humour but it is the same with all jokes and puns. As politically incorrect as it is, most jokes thrive on stereotypes and idiosyncrasies.

Its like Russel Peters making fun of Indians all the time but if a white guy did it, the whole world would be offended. And the term white guy in itself is, to me at least, a derogative term to many Caucasians as well.

Is it all that important to be politically correct all the time?
YES, if you are a politician.

If not, the key to being a good human, in my opinion, is simply to not intentionally cause harm in a reasonable sense. (now I sound like a law student) If the cartoon above was meant to steal and make millions off the hannah and babara franchise, GREAT, GET SUED. If the image was drawn with the mind blowing intention of degrading all male scientists and oppressing all women, GREAT, GET STONED. If it was just an outlet of post modern artistic expression for some light humour, just take it with a pinch of salt.

I mean if the artist were to be politically correct, he/she would have to draw 7 scientists, with equal decisive opinions, from each of the different continents (no no one is smarter than the next) with transgenders (cuz 3 girls 3 guys would leave 1 imbalanced sex) of mixed descent and heritage. Seriously WTF.

Yes I'm strongly opinionated in this sense, but so are those who disagree with me (believe it or not). Practically all of the strongly opinionated overly self moral/justified people I know have ended up breaking a rule or two which results in some form of trauma to their ego. (ie religious morally strict girl who scolds everyone but ends up giving up her body etc due to a moments passion and becoming a beat up person)

I'm not saying to give up on your morals and or beliefs. I'm saying that in life we are only human and we are weak. Not to say we should be lax on ourselves but it is necessary to take things with a pinch of salt.

I end off with a post from one of the people from the thread.

jj

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews